The Municipality of Vega Baja established a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program in accordance with the applicable regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), 49 CFR part 26. The Municipality of Vega Baja received federal financial assistance from the Department of Transportation. As a condition to received such assistance, it signed an assurance that it will comply with 49 CFR part 26.
It is the policy of the Municipality of Vega Baja to ensure that DBE’s, as defined in part 26, have an equal opportunity to receive and participate in DOT-assisted contracts. It is also our policy:
- Ensure nondiscrimination in the award and administration of DOT-assisted contracts;
- Create a leveled playing field in which DBE’s can compete fairly for DOT-assisted contracts;
- Ensure the DBE Program is narrowly tailored in accordance with applicable law;
- Ensure that only firms that fully meet 9 CFR part 26 eligibility standards are permitted to participate as DBE’s;
- Help remove the barriers to the participation of DBE’s in DOT assisted contracts;
- Assist in the development of firms that can compete successfully in the marketplace outside the DBE Program.
Mr. Kervin Freytes, Director of Planning Office, has been designated as the DBE Liaison Officer (DBELO).
The DBELO is responsible for implementing all aspects of the DBE program. Implementation of the program is given the same priority as compliance with all other legal obligations incurred by the Municipality of Vega Baja in its financial assistance agreements with the Department of Transportation.